27 October 2005

(Intermission)

yurt

So, I am not yet in Kyrgyzstan. (Or "Ujerkisdan"...Thank you, Joe Stone.) I'm still on US soil, and you best believe that makes my mother happy. I'm even sleeping on her other child's futon for a spell, just down the street from the parents' compound, so the level of mirth on their end just keeps increasing while the level of discomfort and awkward conversations increases on my and my sibling's end. Glorious system, this.Anyway, I'm in Rhode Island. Until November 16th I'm in Rhode Island, anyway.

In the (ever-long) period between my last, mid-move post and now, I have driven roughly 3000 miles, visited family and friends for a minimum of one overnight in five states (soon adding Utah on a visit to Senor Rocketpants and Ms TLC), driven through 21 states, and dropped nearly a grand on the sweet nectar gasoline. I spent a week in Baton Rouge with family and left crying like a five year old waking up to an empty house after a nightmare, as I left my dogs behind, where they'll stay for the duration and to whom, no doubt, I will get to before any humans--family, friend, or otherwise--upon getting back in the country.

I then immediately drove my red-eyed, sniffly self to Tallahassee, FL, to get drunk, play euchre, and otherwise be forced not to wallow in my dog-separation depressions with two of my favorite people on Earth (whose wedding, I promise, I will make...I just have to change some flights around...seriously, I'll make it).

Following that, it was Savannah, GA for a couple of days in a swanky hotel at dirt-cheap prices (thanks to my mother's hook-ups...Thank you, Mom.). I fucking love Savannah. Seriously. Want to live there. Even with the unfortunate nearness of Gregg Allman, I'm ready to move. But that's after K-stan and I choose not to think that far in advance (and yes, eight months is a long time in advance by my standards, thank you very much).

Post-Savannah was my cousin Melissa's wedding in Rhode Island (following a rather long but rather enjoyable car trip up the east coast). As some of you may know, I have a...well, let's just call it "a thing" about bridges and tunnels. It's not quite like bats, but it's certainly "a thing." Driving up the east coast from South Carolina to Rhode Island is what you might call "facing your fears" if you too had a thing for bridges and tunnels. Just saying.

Post-wedding and the requisite hangover, there was some rural Maine time--lighthouses and wind and whatnot. I love Maine but I had my fair share of standing in cold, blustery wind getting wet and pointing at rocky, beautiful coastline, for sure.

That about gets us to my pasty white ass being on my sister's futon awaiting exportation. I think this weekend will be spent in Boston, or so I've been told by my friends there. They also mentioned something about Halloween and then cackled ominously. All of them.

I'll let you know how it goes.

3 Comments:

Blogger Shrew said...

I got tears in my eyes reading about your dog-goodbyes.

I miss you.

Friday, October 28, 2005 10:42:00 AM  
Blogger nominis umbra said...

I am sad about the dogs. I am confused about life, and my phone (got a cell) is busted. Want badly to talk with you. My plan today: fix the phone. Call friends. You'll be hearing from me soon.
nu

Monday, October 31, 2005 10:35:00 AM  
Blogger nominis umbra said...

Hey, if you call again, leave a number where i can reach you-- no more caller id and i tried what I thought was your cell, but it says the number is out of service. let's talk soon -nu

Thursday, November 03, 2005 9:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home